



## **PARSA Postgraduate Representative Council (PRC)**

### **Executive meeting**

**Date: 11<sup>th</sup> July**

**Time: 12:30pm**

**Location: Online**

#### **1.0 Meeting Open**

#### **1.1 Acknowledgement of Country**

#### **1.2 Attendance and apologies**

Present: Eleanor Cooper (General Secretary), Gunjan Dixit (HDR Officer), Tristan Yip (Coursework Officer),

Apologies: Sharrada Segeran (Equity Officer)

Observing: Jane Brownbill (Operations Manager)

#### **1.3 Call for other business**

#### **1.4 Approval of minutes from previous meeting**

**Motion:** To accept the minutes of the Executive Meeting on the 20<sup>th</sup> of June as an accurate and true statement of events

Proposed: Tristan

Seconded: Eleanor

Passed

**Motion:** To accept the minutes of the Executive Meeting on the 27<sup>th</sup> of June as an accurate and true statement of events

Proposed: Tristan

Seconded: Gunjan

Passed



**Motion:** To accept the minutes of the Executive Meeting on the 4<sup>th</sup> of July as an accurate and true statement of events, with one amendment to Gunjan’s report – change feedback from students to be in HDR catchup rather than AB

Proposed: Tristan

Seconded: Eleanor

Passed

## 2.0 Reports

### 2.1 HDR Officer’s Report

Met with Grady and asked several questions, though she said that that would only be informal, with a formal meeting on the 15<sup>th</sup> of July

Also had a discussion about academic integrity and said that online exams will be using Proctorio.

Had a request from a student in CECS to do a remote induction as they won’t be in Canberra.

### 2.2 Coursework Officer’s Report

Met the dean of students on Tuesday with Jane about the defunding announcement; he seemed to understand how important PARSA was but didn’t have the capacity to help much at this time.

Has done two media interviews (Observer and Canberra Times) and wrote a statement to Woroni.

Held a coursework meeting and set dates for class representative training which will be in week 4 of semester 2.

### 2.3 General Secretary’s Report

Came back from leave on Friday so didn’t do a huge amount, just catching up on correspondence. Thank you to everyone for your work on the anti-defunding campaign

### 2.6 Ongoing action list

| Activity                           | Meeting | Timeframe | Responsible | Progress |
|------------------------------------|---------|-----------|-------------|----------|
| Putting up all minutes from last 3 | 4/7     |           | Eleanor     | Compete  |



|  |     |  |      |  |
|--|-----|--|------|--|
| meetings   |     |  |      |  |
| Medium term plan for comms around the defunding matter | 4/7 |  | Jane |  |

### 3.0 Items for discussion

#### 3.1 Rebranding of SUAW to Postgraduate Writing Program

Eleanor: Ben has put together a proposal to change the SUAW program's naming slightly, so that the overall program name is Postgraduate Writing Program, with things like the retreats and SUAW under that umbrella. Thoughts?

Jane: We could do this when Jacob has time

Tristan: Good time to do the rebrand before semester 2.

#### 3.2 Confidential matter

Redacted

### 4.0 Other Business

#### 4.1 Taskforce TOR

Jane: The TOR we have received is heavily skewed to the university and some with tenuous stakes. I suggest we get some people from the union, our finance accountant and definitely someone who can act as an HDR representative, potentially the Dean of HDR (Anne Evans).

Andie noted the TOR has nothing in it regarding staffing assurances, and suggested adding dean of staff and students as well as the union.

We do need more stable timelines around decisionmaking.

Eleanor: We want this to meet fairly regularly, and for that to be confirmed soon

Jane: I'll put together a draft of requests and send it around today.

#### 4.2 Medium-term plan for communications



Jane: We should postpone this for when Sharrada is available – put it on hold until Wednesday when we meet again.

Noting that Clair and Laurie especially have roles that they have to do at the same time as this campaign, so requested that all new tasks for them go through her so as not to overload the staff. Will be having a chat with the two of them tomorrow about this, to check where they're at with everything.

Tristan: Some of the communications things are sensitive, and should ideally be handled by people with training.

Jane: Definitely need to have a considered approach to all of this work to take care of everyone. Jacob can take on work, as can Shameek.

Jane: Can ask Clair to prepare a media release to send out to further media outlets

Laurie: Main focus for the next two weeks is continuing with our regular things

Jane: The union has a map of contacts that are useful, so I'll get that from then

Eleanor: Will make sure that PRC turn up to events, and will talk to the individually

Sharrada: We should separate advocacy that is related to defunding from that which is not, happy to take all the normal advocacy with the help of a volunteer program

Tristan: We don't have any formal support from ANUSA; has a meeting with Christian tomorrow but this is more focused on the SPA than anything else.

## 5.0 Meeting close and next meeting

Meeting ended at 1:23pm

1. all exec meetings to Wednesday at 10am from next week