PARSA Emergency Grant
PARSA Emergency Grants (PEGS) are available to offer financial assistance to enrolled postgraduate students at the ANU who are facing genuine and unexpected financial hardship.
Enrolled postgraduate students can qualify for up to $1500 per semester* (at PARSA’s discretion), depending on the severity of the situation and the potential benefits of assistance. Successful applicants do not have to repay the money (i.e. it’s not a loan).
Semester 1 includes: Summer Session, First Semester and Autumn Session;
Semester 2 includes: Winter Session, Second Semester and Spring Session.
Students are welcome to apply if they are unable to cover the following costs:
- Costs of living (rent, food or utility costs) as a result of emergency situation;
- Emergent medical expenses and ongoing treatment;
- Unexpected costs as a result of COVID-19 and the travel restrictions (e.g., travel, self-quarantine, health check);
- Costs as a result of natural disaster (bushfire, flood, draught, storm);
- Student visa-related expenses (e.g., visa extension fee, urgent migration advice in relation to student visa);
- Debts (e.g., accrued rental, utility costs);
- Essential vehicle maintenance.
Exclusions: Categories not covered by the PEG include but are not limited to:
- Tuition/ course related fees
- Paying off credit card and other debts (e.g., paying off debts to friends and relatives)
- Reimbursement of any past costs
- Research or vacation travel
- Leisure activities
- Other immigration related expenses
- A currently enrolled postgraduate student at the ANU (Masters, Graduate Certificate, PhD, etc.)
- Financial hardship is a result of an unforeseen or emergency situation (e.g., medical related emergency, family/travel related emergency, family & domestic violence, unexpected change to accommodation), which occurred within the last two months preceding application;
- The applicant can demonstrate financial hardship;
- The applicant can demonstrate immediate need;
- The applicant can demonstrate their existing financial hardship directly affects their capacity to complete their studies in the immediate future;
How the PEG works:
Once all documents are received, a PARSA Emergency Grant application will be subject to a confidential review by two of PARSA’s Student Assistance Advisers (staff) and a de-identified recommendation summary is provided to the President for approval.
If the grant is approved, the funds will be transferred to the student’s nominated account. The expected timeframe for an outcome to the application is within 3 working days. If the application is not successful, students are welcome to reapply if there are changes to their personal circumstances.
Students will be asked to liaise with the PARSA’s Student Assistance to determine the extent of hardship, strategies for preventing future crisis, collaborating with relevant service providers both within the ANU Community and wider ACT Community.
An application of the PARSA Family Supplement Grant does not automatically guarantee payment of funds. PARSA has the discretion to assess and decide applications based on the information provided.
- Proof of ALL income (e.g. scholarships, bursaries, family assistance, Centrelink, employment);
- Confirmation of enrolment letter (available from ISIS)
- Bank statements for the last 90 days preceding the PEG application date (for all accounts, local and overseas);
- Written statement of need including all information relevant to your situation, evidence of ‘self-help,’ and strategies to avoid further hardship;
- Documentation to evidence the claims in your statement of need;
- A table itemising your fortnightly expenses including amounts (rent, food etc.) and your income as per the application form;
- Any other information or documents requested by PARSA.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide the information and evidence required at time of application. The application will be based on the information submitted; PARSA can request further information where required.
Download your PARSA Emergency Grant application and submit to email@example.com.