Here’s what we know about graduation at ANU:
• It’s an important rite of passage after all your hard work;
• The wearing of official graduation attire is compulsory; and
• It costs money!
Don’t stress – there is help
PARSA & ANUSA believe that everyone should have the opportunity to attend their graduation ceremony regardless of their financial circumstances. We are therefore pleased there is now a financial hardship provision for graduation attire hire. This means students who are facing financial hardship can apply for their graduation attire to be provided free of cost through the Graduation Ceremony Assistance Program (GCAP).
Who can apply?
The GCAP is open to all ANU students who are eligible to graduate at the upcoming graduation ceremonies and are experiencing financial hardship. This includes full-time and part-time students, Domestic and International, Undergraduate, Postgraduate and HDR students.
Have you already answered ‘no’ to attending your ceremony? That’s ok, you can still apply through this process.
• Be enrolled as an ANU student including undergraduate, postgraduate and research; &
• Be eligible to graduate at the July/December ceremonies including conditional approval; &
• Able to demonstrate financial hardship; &
• If you are an international student, you need to demonstrate an unexpected change in financial circumstances since the commencement of your enrolment.
Financial hardship is where a student, by hiring graduation attire, would be unable to provide for themselves or their dependents in regards to food, accommodation, essential clothing, medical treatment, education or other basic necessities.
The committee can request additional information for an application prior to making their decision. Successful applicants are only considered if they are eligible to graduate at the upcoming round of graduation ceremonies. If their graduation is delayed they must re-apply in the appropriate application round.
Applications must be received within the application round dates in order to be considered. Applications received within the application round will be assessed by the GCAP committee. Decisions are made at the discretion of the committee.
How to apply
You can apply by either:
Download and complete the PDF form and submit via email (email@example.com) or submit in person at the PARSA Office, or
Pick up a form from the PARSA Office and either submit in person at the PARSA Office or, scan and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Important Note: You will need to attach the following supporting documents to your application:
- Evidence or proof of your situation
- Bank statements for the last 30 days (Statements are required for all accounts both in Australia and overseas in order for applications to be considered)
- If you need the form in another version (e.g. Microsoft Word), please email email@example.com
Proudly brought to you by the ANU Postgraduate and Research Students’ Association, the ANU Students’ Association and ANU Graduations Office.