Two updates today:
1) The role descriptions are taking a bit more time than expected to complete, but will be posted shortly. In the meantime, if you have any questions about a specific role, don't hesitate to attend our info sessions or contact PARSA General Manager Mike Heffron.
2) Following a query into when candidates are permitted to campaign, Returning Office Ian Walker has confirmed that the “election period’ referred to in Section 13 (f)(x) of the Electoral Regulations covers the period of time between the close of nominations (noon on August 3) and the close of elections (5pm on August 18).
Clause 13 (f) (x) It is an electoral offence to: campaign before the start of the election period set under clause 6(a).
PARSA ANNUAL GENERAL ELECTIONS 2017
Candidate nominations and ticket registration announcement
Dear Postgraduate and Research Students,
Candidate nomination and ticket registration forms for the 2017 Postgraduate and Research Students’ Association (PARSA) Annual General Election will be available from 9am on Monday, July 17th on the Election page of the PARSA website. Ticket registration closes at noon on Wednesday, August 2nd. Candidate nominations close at noon on Thursday, August 3rd.
When does the election take place?
Online polling for the election will open at 9am on Monday, August 14th and close at 5pm on Friday, August 18th.
Information on how to access the polling website will be communicated to all postgraduate students ahead of the election. Election results will be published on the PARSA website as soon as practicable after the close of election.
What positions are open?
Elections will be held for 31 positions on the PRC and one Postgraduate Student Member of ANU Council. The duties and time commitment required of each position can be found by visiting the Role Descriptions page.
- ANU postgraduate students will elect 12 officers to the Postgraduate Representative Council (PRC), the governing board of PARSA.
- Vice President
- General Secretary
- Indigenous Australian Officer*
- Communications Officer
- Environmental Officer
- Women’s Officer**
- Social Officer
- Equity Officer
- International Officer***
- Education Officer
* A student is only eligible to nominate for the position of Indigenous Australian Officer if they identify as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander.
** A student is only eligible to nominate for the position of Women’s Officer if they identify as a woman.
*** A student is only eligible to nominate for the position of International Officer if they are an international student.
- ANU postgraduate students will elect 14 College Representatives to the PRC – two from each College. A student is only eligible to run for the College(s) they are enrolled in.
- College of Asia and the Pacific (CAP)
- College of Law (COL)
- College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences (CPMS)
- College of Medicine, Biology and Environment (CMBE)
- College of Business and Economics (CBE)
- College of Arts and Social Sciences (CASS)
- College of Engineering and Computer Science (CECS)
- ANU postgraduate students will elect five General Representatives to the PRC.
- ANU postgraduate students will elect a Postgraduate Student Member of ANU Council. The elected Council member will not be part of, nor accountable to, the PRC. This ballot is subject to the Council (Elections) Statute 2016, as well as the constitution and election regulations of PARSA. More information about the Council is available via the ANU webpage.
What is required to run for a position?
All nominees must be postgraduate students at ANU at the time of nomination. All nominees must comply with the requirements listed in the nomination form and with the PARSA Election Regulations.
Where can I download a nomination or ticket registration form?
Candidate nomination and ticket registration forms can be downloaded via the Election page of the PARSA website. Completed forms should be sent to the PARSA Returning Officer, Ian Walker, at email@example.com.
Where can I find out more about PARSA’s elections?
Have a look at our FAQ on the PARSA website to find out what a ticket is - and how to form or join one, how PARSA’s voting system works, important deadlines, and more.
If you still have questions, contact the PARSA General Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.