Current University Course
Doctor of Medicine and Surgery
- President (2015-16)
- Treasurer (2014-15)
- General Secretary (2017-18)
- College Representative (2014)
- Masters of Business (MBus(UNSW)) majoring in Organisational Efficiency and Human Resource Management
- Committee member on Australian Department of Defence Human Research Ethics Committee 2017-18
- Qualified in Governance Foundations for Not-for-Profit Directors through the Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Certificate IV in Training and Development (obtained 2013)
- Risk Management in Aviation Trainer in Royal Australian Air Force 2011-13
- Equity and Diversity Officer in Australian Defence 2005-13
- ANU Ally LGBTQI* trained
- ANU Academic Board Member 2015-16
Board and Other Experience
- Counsellor on ANU Council 2015-16 – One of 15 on the Board of the University
- Board member of ANU Union 2015-16
- National Council Chair of Australian Medical Students’ Association 2017
- Governor on ANU Endowment for Excellence Board of Governors 2015
- Board member on Board of Fellows at ANU University House 2016
- Independent Assessor on Project Catalyst, the Australian Government’s funding program for the Ministry of Arts 2015-17
- ANU MedSoc Committee Member 2014
Hello everyone, my name is Zyl and I am the current Vice President of PARSA as well as being a Director of the Board of ANU Sport.
The Postgraduate Member of Council (PMC) is a crucial role for postgraduate advocacy at the ANU, being involved in key university-wide decisions with far-reaching consequences. In addition to this, the ANU Council is responsible for governance and strategic decision-making for the ANU to ensure its ongoing success.
As the leader of the PARSA Home Away from Home campaign, which led to the university’s recent announcement of a postgraduate accommodation guarantee, I am a strong advocate for postgraduate students and will continue raise key structural issues with the ANU such as accommodation services, family support, and sexual assault and sexual harassment reform.
I am the PARSA representative on the committee that oversees the success of the Kambri redevelopment and I provide student insight and leadership on what is needed to make Kambri accessible and valuable for students. In addition, I have been a key reformer on numerous policy matters within PARSA including major work on the PARSA Strategic Plan and our Constitutional Review.
In my role as PARSA Vice President, Director of ANU Sport, and member of numerous university committees, I have formed strong relationships with key ANU stakeholders and Council members. By electing me to the Council, and as PARSA President, you will ensure strong postgraduate advocacy at the ANU.
Hi, I am Stephan! Originally, I am from Germany, but I have been living in Australia for over three years now and here at ANU, I’m in my third Semester of my Master of International Relations at the College of Asia and the Pacific. This election I am nominating myself for Vice President and postgraduate member of ANU council.
I believe that being part of the PARSA executive team and the council will place me in a pivotal position to influence decisions and fiercely advocate for the best interests of the postgraduate community. Through my extensive work with the ANU, as a student representative and study Canberra ambassador, I have spent the last year working with students across campus to help them achieve a memorable and supportive experience at the ANU.
This has been a fantastic experience which allowed me to gain valuable insights from the daily life experience of students and helped me learn about issues and concerns ranging from the academic to campus life, accommodation problems and a range of other topics challenging our ANU students.
As your ANU Council Postgraduate Member, I would do my very best to
- advocate for the interests and needs of all postgraduate students
- advocate for the immediate audit of the medical services
- raise awareness of issues and work on solutions for problems challenging our ANU community
- work with the council in meeting postgraduate expectations of the sexual assault/sexual harassment recommendations
- foster a collaborative relationship between the Council and ANU stakeholders